Reflections From The Rabbit Hole

Reflections From The Rabbit Hole

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

With One Eye Open


Growing up, I use to hear people who were afraid of the dark, say "I slept with one eye open all night".

Well, I do that now, literally.



When I wake up in the morning, this is what I see out of my left eye, which I cannot close all the way = this the way I see the world around me.


Below is a picture of a detached retina, which I endured the morning of October 7th, 2014. Overnight, I had become partially blind. You can see where the retina detached itself from the fluid around it. I thought it would "fix itself" but it did not. I did not know the severity of the situation until a week later.



On October 14th, 2014, I had surgery to correct it. Three months later, when the retina had completely re-attached itself, this is what I was left with. 

Normal Retina


So, four months after the Lexington surgeon said the retina was "back in place", I have an appointment tomorrow (Thursday, May 7th) with my eye doctor in Mt. Sterling to see if he can tell me anything new. Don't think he will be able to do so, but I need to know the truth. That's what I deal with, the truth, so I need to know it. 

There are numerous reasons this can happen to a person my age (70 years old = one week from today) = usually it's because I am a person of this age, that's why it happens. But, Wikipedia can give you a lot of other reasons = the surgeon in my case, didn't know why it happened. Maybe this other doctor will tell me something different, but I doubt it. I believe this view (below) I have of the world, is permanent.



Ironies of all ironies, in 2009, on my last day at the Outlook, I was helping clean up the place for the new owner. I know, I know, I quit of my own accord because of my dislike for the new owner = it was not one of my better days that day, and I had an accident, injuring my (right) eye, detaching the retina. I had surgery the next day and the vision was totally restored and still is to this day. My delay in seeking help a week later in this latest case probably caused the permanent blindness. I'll never know. Don't second-guess myself. Doesn't do any good. It is what it is, piled on top of everything else, it is what it is.

It is "my truth"


Until the next time, this is The Last Word.

(FYI = I really like graphics to help me tell a story. Wish I had this technology as one of my choices for a major = Graphics = back in 1962 = I didn't, so I pursued a degree in English/Writing. I believe all those avenues have worked out well for me lately.)












No comments:

Post a Comment